Say you’re using sendmail to relay email on a web server that you own that’s named “domain.com”, and email is being delivered fine to any domain except domain.com. What could be the problem?
- Rename your server. No server should be named with an actual domain name.
- Change /etc/hostname to the new name for your server
- Update /etc/hosts to remove the domain name and replace with the new hostname
- Remove the domain name from /etc/mail/local-host-names
- Restart sendmail “sudo service sendmail restart”
- Restart your server “sudo reboot”
Once you’ve done that test sendmail out like so…
Please remember to subscribe to the newsletter to stay up to date!
echo "command line test" | mail -s "Sendmail test" firstname.lastname@example.org
You or someone you know looking to buy or sell?
Disclaimer: Thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not reflect the views of any employer, family member, friend, or anyone else. Some links may be affiliate links, but I don't link to anything I don't use myself. You would think this should be self evident these days, but apparently not...